Tags

, , ,

Okay, so this was going to be a one part summary, but it turns out it has taken me a bit longer than I expected so today I only managed to get one side done. Memo to self – I am rubbish at bodywork !

Anyway step one was to take the supplied panels and trim them so they fit within the space on the bulkhead on the near and offside. They all needed quite a bit of cutting and grinding to fit around the round-bar, and this isn’t my forte so it was slow progress.

Once that was done I needed to cut a hole in the nearside panel to allow for one of the engine mount points to be accessible.

2015-11-01 09.40.592015-11-01 10.01.072015-11-01 10.04.22

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Once the hole was added ( and I made it a bit larger to allow for the welds next to the mount joint, I was able to offer it up to the chassis and make sure it fitted ok.

I used a few clamps to hold it in place and then marked the position of the frame from behind and then measured a mid point so I knew where to drill and hopefully hit the middle of the chassis bars.

Once it was measured up I drilled 3.2mm holes every 1.5″ then used a 10mm bit to de-burr the holes.

2015-11-01 10.49.32 2015-11-01 11.30.33

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I then offered it back up to the chassis and marked again and then drilled the holes into the chassis ready to rivet.

2015-11-01 12.37.20
I had made a few scratches on the Bulk Head panel ( schoolboy errors) and didn’t like the aluminium edges showing where I had had to fettle it a bit, so I gave it a quick Paint spray so it looks nice and fresh again.

2015-11-01 12.37.12

 

 

 

 

After that it was just a case of aligning again, adding some sealant behind the panels and then riveting the panel onto the chassis with black rivets. And that’s it, one panel fitted and same again to do now for the offside.  Going to have to cut that one in half to get it into the space first though.

2015-11-01 14.47.29